Thursday, February 18, 2010

DIY Flowers


So, a big part of me really wants to do my own flowers for the wedding.  You can just save so much money.  I don't really need massive elaborate arrangements and I'd really like a relaxed and quirky look.  My mom and I have done the flower arrangements for our church before, so I think that it may be doable.  I don't know if I want to add that huge stress on myself the day before the wedding, and there are always issues like where the heck I'm going to put and store 500 stems of flowers in a cool place.  I suppose we could always crank up the air in one spot of Chris' place (the room over the garage or something) and stick everything in water.



Websites like www.fiftyflowers.com, www.wholeblossom.com and www.flowerbud.com make arrangements just so affordable.  I can order those 500 stems for $300.  I already know exactly the type of vases I want to put everything in, and I know they won't cost that much (hello, Ikea!).

This is what www.flowerbud.com has to say on the issue:

You'll want to do it yourself if:

  • You enjoy arranging flowers.
  • You want relatively simple arrangements, or ones you already know how to create.
  • You're using only a few kinds of flowers, and they're easy to find.
  • You have friends and family who can help arrange the flowers.
  • You'll have plenty of time before the ceremony to work with the flowers.
  • You want to feel involved with the creation of every aspect of your wedding.
  • You're on a budget.

You may want to hire a florist if:

  • You want lots and lots of big arrangements.
  • You want to use flowers that are hard to find, or out of season.
  • You want to use many types of flowers, and just a few of each type.
  • You're overwhelmed already, and don't know much about flower arranging.
  • You don't have any time, or anyone to help with the flowers.
  • You don't care how much it costs; you just want it to be perfect.
So, I feel like I'm probably in the first camp, but I don't know about that time thing...  Plus, how will I transport these arrangements?  I mean I suppose that's what my awesome wedding planner will be for, but who knows what exactly is doable.  I guess these are decisions I'll have to make closer to the day of.  I mean, I still have months to make this decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment