Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Can I rant for a bit?

Ann Taylor also does wedding dresses now.  Check out this number:
While it may not be quite my style, let me tell you about it.  It's 100% silk and fully lined and finished.  I can't tell you how unusual this is.  There is a ridiculous mark-up associated with anything to do with weddings.  I guess the industry believes that as soon as you get a ring on your finger all common sense goes out the window.  The average cost of a wedding dress is about $1200.  If you were going to buy a formal gown that wasn't white-- just one for every day occasions -- you would expect quality fabrics (silk etc.), a lining, finished seams, and maybe even hand sewn beading and other details.  You know what $1200 gets you in bridal land?  Synthetic fabric, unfinished seams, exposed zippers.  Back in the day, I tried on this dress in Bloomingdales: 

Fierce, right?  I tried it on in plum.  It's 100% silk, lined, and although you can't tell on Kate Hudson's smoking body, it's actually boned for structure and support.  It is impeccably made.  So much so that you can't see the boning when you have it on.  You know how much this dress cost?  Even after Kate Hudson worked it?  $600.  And that's off the rack. You could have it made to your measurements if you would like for $900.  Exorbitant, but IT'S STILL CHEAPER THAN A WEDDING DRESS.  In order to get a wedding dress with detailing, fine fabrics and the like, you have to spend upwards of $2000.  $2000 for the 8 hours you will actually wear it.  I can't tell you how frustrating the wedding industry is.  I just can't stomach dropping $1000 on a dress I would never consider buying for $100 if I saw it in a department store in any color other than white. Sigh.

So, back to that Ann Taylor dress.  100% silk, lined, spectacular tiers (as in not just a plain sheath like Kate Hudson's), built in bra, boning, and hidden zipper.  Guess how much it costs.  $495 and free shipping.  With my discount, that dress would be $250.  Heck.  It comes in navy, too.  If I had my 'maids get that dress (which I would never make them spend $250), they would be getting a TON of dress for the money.  So even if it's not really my style, for $250, it might be.
 
Sorry about my rant.  This is just one of my pet peeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment