Thursday, April 15, 2010

ah miss manners... you would not get along with me

So I was in the library* picking out a new book on tape for my bad self,** and on the way through the shelves, I stumbled upon the etiquette section.  Is that ever a depressing section to be in.  All the things you do wrong to make you look uncouth and backwoods.

Flipped open a Miss Manners guide (Miss Manners’ Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior) and it was on responding to invitations.  Apparently Miss Manners has some pretty strong feelings about R.S.V.P. etiquette:

Wow!  Harsh!  RSVP cards are an "abomination" and you should foul up my system?!  I'm hoping that this is only for formal invitations.  Mine is hardly formal.  However, I feel as if Miss Manners would probably say that all invitations should be formal, or at the very least that all replies should be personal.

Don't worry, dear friends, your RSVP will be personal.  I have taken care of that.***  I will not require you to have personal letterhead and beautiful penmanship.  I"m sure Miss Manners would be upset with me.

But what say you, bloggy fans?  Is Miss Manners unrealistic?  Any choice words for her?


*for those of you who are unfamiliar, it's like Blockbuster for books
** I'm a busy law student!  I like to multi-task when I'm driving.
*** I'm such a tease.

No comments:

Post a Comment