Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Flower Hair Love

A few years ago on the Martha Stewart Show she had a craft week.  I was not in school then and it was just before law school, so clearly I was home and able to watch every single episode.  She had this woman on who made flowers out of this clay that air dries.  I tried to buy some online because I really wanted to try it, but the company DECO Soft Clay by Claycraft is based out of Hawaii and it's virtually impossible to find it anywhere else.  I bought that Crayola clay that's kinda foamy and played around with that for a bit.  Not exactly what I needed, but still fun.

I told you that story to tell you this story.  I am throwing around the idea of wearing a flower in my hair for the wedding.  While lovely, I don't think I'm really the tiara type.  I wanted something a little fancier than just a regular veil, particularly when that sucker comes off for the reception.  However, wearing a flower in your hair is a logistical nightmare.  Wilting, browning, etc.  Won't look so nice by the end.  I thought of doing an artsy flower corsage, but wasn't too thrilled with that idea.

And then

I remembered that show.  She had done all her own flowers and her bridesmaids bouquets using that clay.  I can't even imagine how long that took.  I wanted to see if I could figure out how to make one of my own.  Maybe. Perhaps.  Or buy one (better yet).

*DRUM ROLL PLEASE!*

Not only is she still working, she has an etsy shop!  Oh how I love etsy.  It's like crack for me.  Check this out!  How real do they look?  Better yet, I can save it for after the wedding as a keepsake.  When all those pretty bouquets die, I can have this.

On Estilo, she sells other products like this cherry blossom boutonniere.  I'm a total fan.
Or even this gorgeous dahlia:


I heart this fuchsia peony ring pillow. Wonder if we can get the pillow in navy?


Or how about gardenias as a wedding cake topper?

That's clay, folks.  It's a really soft, flexible clay.  It's not stiff like fimo (polymer clay).  And that gardenia flower hair pin number is a very reasonable $25.  Other fabric hairpieces are sometimes more than double this.  I will definitely be keeping this in mind.  She currently only has that gardenia made, but I wonder if she'd do a custom one?  Not sure.  Will have to do more research.  I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment