Monday, June 21, 2010

Just for you guys

I came in early today so I could blog before I got weighed down by work.  I wanted to update you on the dress shopping.  Most important thing I learned this weekend -- THOSE DRESSES ARE HOT UNDER THERE!  I seriously need like a fan sewn into the bustle or something.

Katherine and I started off our day going to J. Andrews Bridal in Peachtree City.  After being ridiculously late picking her up, made even later by an essential stop for gas, we drove all the way to PTC.  We were actually right on time, so that's good.  When we got there, Katherine and I looked at each other.  The place was really small and was not very impressive from the outside.  However, when we walked in, it was awesome!  The staff was incredibly friendly and our lady (can't remember her name.  Susan maybe?) was great.  She said that she knew that it was basically my first time out, except for that one study break Sarah and I had 1L year.  She also said not to feel pressured to buy anything, it was really difficult on day 1 to do that, but we'd have a good time figuring out what I liked and what looked best on me. Seriously?  YAY!  Katherine and I had this whole system we worked out in the car ride.  I wasn't going to say which dress I liked, but I would play with my bracelet or something if I really liked one dress.  That all went out the window.  How quickly I forget.  There was also another bride there with her mother, sister and aunt, and they were hilarious.  Their bride and I were looking at completely different styles of dresses, but we were gushing and giving each other advice.  It was really fun.

Anyway, I found 2-3 dresses that I loved.  I really surprised myself, because one of my fave dresses wasn't AT ALL what I was looking for.  I'm trying to decide whether or not to post pictures of the dresses I like.  Katherine took pictures with her camera phone (suprisingly, they let us!!!  We were shocked).  I think we're going to put those on facebook and block Chris from the album.  Sorry, honey.  I could cut and paste pictures of the 5'10 size 0 models in them.  What do you guys think?  Want to see them?

After eating at Chick fil-A (mmmmmmmm), we went to Bridals by Lori.  They were having a Lazaro trunk show, and Lazaro was there!  Haha.  Katherine and I didn't know it was him and I mistakenly thought he was a random employee and asked him what to do.  He was like, "I don't know" and just stared me down.  WHOOPS!  Oh well.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I actually did not at all enjoy my experience there. Incredibly disappointed.   They have thousands of dresses.  It's just like Kleinfeld's in NYC.  So clearly I don't have time to go through all their dresses and I don't know what they have.  I told our consultant, Marta, what I was looking for and picked out a few dresses myself.  I had originally gotten swayed by this trumpet gown with loads of ruffles and pleats at the bottom.  It was really pretty.  I had it on, and the consultant was like, I have a better one! and she did, in fact, give me a better one.  I told her, though, that I really wanted to try on lace trumpet dresses.  I liked the ruffles, but it wasn't really what I was looking for. SHE JUST WOULDN'T LISTEN TO ME! It was really frustrating.  She kept bringing me back to the ruffle dress, and I kept telling her that I liked it, but I wanted to see other dresses.  UGH! and I also kept telling her NO STRAPLESS.  This store had like 6 total non-strapless dresses.  I know that straps can be added, but I really wanted to see non-strapless. And she kept telling me that I looked much better in strapless.  At that point, I knew that she was lying because I definitely do not look good in strapless.  Katherine gave me this funny look and rolled her eyes.  Please, woman.  I work in retail.  I know how to sell people shit that looks terrible on them, and I refuse to do it.  Don't play your stupid games with me.

Katherine and I wondered if maybe brides out there are not that bright?  Or maybe when you get an engagement ring on your IQ drops 30 points?  It's entirely possible.  I just don't understand how smart women suddenly become crazy when someone sticks a white dress on them.  No, Bridals by Lori, I will NOT plunk down $4000 on a dress after 30 minutes.  No, Bridals by Lori, I will not be swayed by the promise of a 12.5% discount that will end tomorrow if I don't buy.  No, Bridals by Lori, I will not be pushed into a dress that I don't like because you say that it looks good on me when I know that it is completely unflattering to my figure.  The bridal industry is a racket and it begins and ends at the bridal salon.

Katherine is hilarious and she was trying to take pictures here too, and we got told that we couldn't unless we bought the gown.  So Katherine kept sending Marta off on these bizarre missions ("Can you find a piece of fabric we can use to get an idea what straps might look like?"  "Hmm.... I need to see it with a belt.') so that she could serruptitiously snap some photographs.  I kept worrying that Marta would come back, but we got left alone so much that it was probably fine.  I don't know what she was doing, but sometimes it would take her forever.  Almost like those movies where the guy has two dates going on at one time and has to change in the bathroom.  Or was that the Hannah Montana movie?

I have decided to do some serious research into having a gown made.  The problem with these dresses is that I'm also really really short.  Alterations will cost a fortune.  Bringing up a gown is not the same as hemming a pant because there are so many things going on down there at the hem.  Also, I'm really short waisted, so the middle part of those dresses are never cut for me.  You know when  you get a funny crease along your waist?  That's because the torso of the dress is cut too long for you.  So that's an expensive alteration.  These dresses don't come in petite to alleviate that problem.  Yet another scam from the wedding dress industry.

OH! and you know what else?!  Okay, I know I'm not a size 2.  But I'm not THAT fat!  I feel like I'm more or less average, especially in light of the current obesity epidemic.  None of those sample dresses fit me.  It was ridiculous.  Some of the Lazaro dresses they were having me cram into were bridal size 4s.  That's like a street size 0.  For real?  How do you expect to sell a wedding dress if people can't try it on??  I could literally not even get into them.  I'm sure more of these dresses would have peaked my interest if I could actually slide them down my big butt.  You know what we had to do?  Hold it up to my body.  This is ridiculous.  Isn't it much better to get a big size and then clip me into it?  UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

So anyway, that wraps up my Saturday.  Kind of a boring post.  Please forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment